Laminate Care & Maintenance
Let's face it...life takes its toll on our flooring. Over time, even laminate will eventually start to show the effects of traffic, stains, and spills. At Direct Carpet Unlimited, we want your flooring to stand the test of time. So, we're sharing some of the best practices when it comes to caring for and rejuvenating laminate. When it comes to the dos and don'ts of laminate...
- DO sweep, dry mop, and vacuum your flooring regularly. The occasional wet mop is also recommended. Keep in mind that laminate can warp if exposed to excessive moisture.
- DON'T drag furniture when moving it. Lift only! Better yet, use floor protectors with all furniture. This will prevent scratching and indentations that form over time.
- DO use a few area rugs around your home to give your laminate some extra protection.
- DON'T use abrasive cleaners, steel wool, or scouring powder on your laminate.
- DO spot clean (and occasionally deep clean) your laminate using manufacturer-approved products.
Dealing with spills and stains
Laminate is easy to clean in that you can wipe away most spills and other messes with a clean, dry cloth. This includes sauces, liquids, and pet accidents. You'll still want to address these right away, as laminate can warp under excessive moisture.
Other messes, such as wax and nail polish, require a different approach. For these, you'll want to consult your manufacturer's cleaning and care guidelines. It's important to deal with these tougher stains without damaging the surface of your flooring.